~*my fairy tale*~

Sunday, June 04, 2006

寂寞@Orchard Road

  Walked down Orchard Road with a close friend today. It's a Sunday and with the GSS going on, it's no surprise that the whole stretch was overflowing with people.
  While walking, my friend turned around suddenly and commented that if she was walking down the similarly crowded, if not, more crowded Oxford Street in London, she would feel at ease but if she was alone today, she would have felt out of place.
  What she said struck a chord in my heart.
  Before I met up with her today, I trawled down the same stretch of Orchard Road on my own and that familiar yet distant feeling of loneliness that I felt years ago has somehow found it's way into my life again and silently crept back into my heart. At that moment, how I wished she would turn up right away or I thought I would be engulfed by the crowd that was rushing by me in both directions.
  When I was in secondary school and JC, I absolutely hated shopping on my own or going to crowded places by self. I guess I hated the feeling of being alone among couples, families or groups of friends. But while living in London for the past 4 years, I've learnt to appreciate doing things on my own, especially shopping as I could shop at my own pace and go to the shops I wanted as and when I liked to.
  Over the last 4 years, I can honestly say I never once felt lonely going about on my own even though I'm miles away from family and friends. In fact I value those moments of solitude very much and crave for time out on my own now.
  But why the feeling of loneliness again today?
是我的心在寂寞?
还新加坡本来就是个容易令人觉得寂寞的地方?
又或者是伦敦已把我的心给“偷”走了?
  I miss London.

No comments: