~*my fairy tale*~

Saturday, June 03, 2006

English or Chinese

Everytime I start blogging, I can't decide whether to do it in English or Chinese or both. I use Chinese daily on my job and would very much like to keep up with my written English outside of work. Since I've stopped blogging on my other blog, I've also got to think of friends of mine who don't read Chinese at all. Besides, I do type faster in English and I don't wish to spend too much time blogging.

I face a similar problem as well when filing my stories -- whether to write some words or phrases in English or to keep it in Chinese.

I cover the money section and there are many special or technical terms like GDP, deficit, surplus, that I believe if I left them in Chinese, many of our target audience will struggle with them. However, if I do write them in English, the article might as well be in English with almost 70% of the whole article consisting of English words. But mypaper being a predominantly Chinese paper, I can't.

Over the last 2 days, we received many emails and smses to my paper. Some liked the bilingual mix, while some found it totally ridiculous as we are a chinese paper afterall. Personally, I prefer the mix as some phrases ought to be left in English or their original meaning or soul will not be as striking when translated. Being Singaporeans, we do mix English and Chinese anyway in our daily speech.

Writing a mix, on one one hand, it makes a chinese article look less intimidating. But on the otherhand, talking and writing is entirely different. It's in our subconscience to use Singlish in our speech but most of us are used to read in a single language. Reading both languages at the same time will require the reader to constantly switch their mindsets and will probably be very cumbersome and tiring.

To be honest, in the process of writing my articles, I can't help to worry for myself sometimes. If I were to leave mypaper one day, will I still be able to write in plain Chinese only and resist the temptation to use English? Similarly, when I write in English in future, will I be lost for words having been so accustomed to writing in Chinese.

Perhaps I should write in Chinese and English at work but keep my blog entries either purely in English or Chinese. What's your take on this? Would you prefer for my blog to be in English or Chinese?

1 comment:

Mervin said...

I think your blog should be either in pure Chinese or in pure English. This way, you won't lose touch with the technicalities of both languages just because you use both interchangably at work.